Zatoichi Titles Out of Print?
Yes, it's true. HomeVision/Image Entertainment, the licensee for much of the Zatoichi film library, has discontinued nine titles -- so far. The list includes:
- "Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold (#6)
- "Adventures of Zatoichi" (#9)
- "Zatoichi's Revenge" (#10)
- "Zatoichi and the Doomed Man" (#11)
- "Zatoichi and the Chess Expert" (#12)
- "Zatoichi's Cane Sword" (#15)
- "Zatoichi Challenged" (#17)
- "Zatoichi and the Fugitives" (#18)
- "Samaritan Zatoichi" (#19)
A quick search of Amazon.com, eBay and other websites seems to confirm this very discouraging news. The aforementioned titles are available, both new and used, but at higher than list prices.
The discontinued DVDs are all licensed by HomeVision/Image Entertainment. Titles from AnimEigo and Media Blasters or Tokyo Shock remain in print. E-mails and voice messages to Image Entertainment have been largely ignored. They've yet to respond or comment on this matter so it's hard to say how the decision came about. Is it a licensing issue or does Image Ent. feel that the Zatoichi purchasing craze has peaked? Hard to say.
This page will be updated as more news becomes available.